[R6RS] my notes on today's conference call (8 August 2006)
William D Clinger
will at ccs.neu.edu
Tue Aug 8 14:26:45 EDT 2006
Conference call August 8 2006 12:45-2:15pm
All present by about 12:46pm:
Kent, Mike, Matthew, Anton, Will
0. finalize agenda (1 minute)
naming of condition predicates and accessors (if time; could wait)
1. action items from 8/1/2006 (5 minutes)
- email Richard, marc, Manuel re: editorial credit (Kent)
done, but no reply yet
- propose alternate script syntax (Anton)
- revise library and syntax srfis (Kent)
- draft safety (memory integrity) paragraphs (Will)
- carried over:
- complete unicode reference implementation (Will)
- note: reserve last week of August for proofreading
2. Report status (5 minutes)
- items ready for review
<item> <editor> <to be completed by> <done?>
unicode Matthew Aug. 03 done.
exceptions & conditions Matthew Aug. 03 ongoing
quasiquote Kent Aug. 08 done.
letrec* Kent Aug. 08 done.
let-values & let*-values Kent Aug. 08 done.
records Kent Aug. 08
enumerations Will Jul. 12 done.
bytes Will Aug. 03 8 August
equal? Will Aug. 01 done.
list-library Anton Aug. 07
case-lambda Anton Aug. 07 11 August
when & unless Anton Aug. 07 done.
core/library split Anton Aug. 07 11 August
arithmetic Will Aug. 22
set-car!, set-cdr! Anton Aug. ??
condition-type details Anton Aug. ??
dynamic-wind Kent Aug. 15
- items not ready for review
syntax (read-syntax, syntactic forms)
r5rs compatibility library
3. future meetings (5 minutes)
- Matthew is off to China next week (12 hours different from EDT)
out of commission one week from today
8am EDT might work (8pm in China, 3pm in Germany)
Thursday next week, 8am EDT
- Portland, OR in September (Scheme workshop / ICFP)
Sunday evening at dinner,
after talks end (5:30pm) and before R6RS session (8pm)
maybe Monday evening as well
4. relaxation of script syntax (10 minutes)
- treat script body as a library body?
- requires (command-line) procedure
- allow interleaved definitions and expressions?
Anton volunteered to prepare written list of issues and options
5. syntax-case (15 minutes)
- make fresh-syntax the default?
- pros: reduces possibility of unintended intra-transformer capture
- cons: complicates many common macros
problematic interaction with quasisyntax
adding fresh-syntax as a separate form:
in: Will, Anton
out: Kent, Mike, Matthew
- add abstract transformer syntax?
(transformer (<variable>) <body>) => transformer
Will suggested "syntax-lambda" instead of "transformer"
Mike suggested it be restricted to appear close to
define-syntax (or whatever)
- add quasisyntax/unsyntax/unsyntax-splicing?
- can be written as a macro
can also be written incorrectly
might improve acceptance of syntax-case
adopted by acclamation
- should let-syntax/letrec-syntax treated like begin or let?
yes: Will, Kent, Matthew, Mike, Anton
- otherwise accept basically as is?
accepted without objection
6. I/O convenience library (10 minutes)
- naming of peek-char, write-char, etc.
vote by email
Will will propose a change to library semantics
7. I/O (15 minutes)
mutation of port transcoders, transcoders, whatever
8. adjourned about 2:24pm
More information about the R6RS