[R6RS] Enumerations proposal pre-draft

Michael Sperber sperber at informatik.uni-tuebingen.de
Mon Apr 24 13:05:19 EDT 2006

Thanks for the detailed response, and especially the benchmarks!

William D Clinger <will at ccs.neu.edu> writes:

> 7.  Programming languages should be designed not by piling
> feature on top of feature, but by removing the weaknesses
> and restrictions that make additional features appear
> necessary.  In this case, the weaknesses are mostly in
> current implementations of case expressions, but the
> general principle still applies: the solution is to fix
> the weaknesses in those implementations, not to add new
> features to the language.

I can see where you coming from, but I don't agree that my proposal is
in any way "piling feature on top of feature," at least not as I
understand this principle.  Specifically, my proposal isn't an
addition to the language, but instead a library.  As with symbols, my
proposal values uses an existing mechanism to represent enumeration
values.