[R6RS] SYNTAX-CASE

Michael Sperber sperber
Tue Mar 22 03:03:34 EST 2005

>> Could we please all agree to include some form of SYNTAX-CASE in R6RS
>> now or at least document that we don't?  Kent sent in his outline ages
>> ago.  It would be a nice thing to report in the status report as well.
Manuel> I don't think that we have agreed on including SYNTAX-CASE as
Manuel> is.  I was pushing in favor of a general pattern matching
Manuel> mechanism that could be applied to macros too.

Yes.  However, it's hard to have a discussion without some basis.
Right now, we're blocked because:

- Kent is waiting for the go-ahead that *some form* of SYNTAX-CASE
  will make it into R6RS.  (Kent will correct me if my assessment is
  wrong.)
- There's no pattern-matching proposal that integrates with a
  SYNTAX-CASE-like facility.

As it is, we have zip, and until at least one of two of you produces
some kind of proposal, it'll stay that way, and we can't even have any
kind of discussion.  It seems that one possible course of action would
be for Kent to write up his idea of what things should look like, and
you propose a modification that integrates a general pattern matcher.
Would that be realistic?