[R6RS] A question about records and modules

Manuel Serrano Manuel.Serrano
Mon Jun 27 04:31:19 EDT 2005

As far as I remember, when we were talking about modules we have only
considered exporting values (constants and/or variables). I have mentioned
the possibility of exporting types but I think that I was pretty alone one
this. I now re-ask the question. Don't you think that we should envisioned
a facility for exporting records? If we don't provide such a thing what
a module exporting a record type T representing a complex data type with
a lot of fields (such as a record type representing, let's say, X windows)
will look like? This module will contain a huge set of

 T-<blabla1>
 T-<blabla1>-set!
 T-<blabla2>
 T-<blabla2>-set!
 T-<blabla20>
 T-<blabla20>-set!
 T-<blabla21>
 T-<blabla21>-set!

export clauses. This is a real burden to main such a module. This
is even amplified by the inheritance we want to provide records with. For
solving this, I (re-)suggest that a module export clause may specify a
record type. Does anybody have a feeling about at?

--
Manuel