[R6RS] draft Unicode SRFI

Michael Sperber sperber
Fri Jul 8 10:59:57 EDT 2005

"Manuel Serrano" <Manuel.Serrano at sophia.inria.fr> writes:

> I don't feel comfortable with the idea exposed by Marc. Implementing
> in C is not always possible. Sometime you want to implement Scheme on
> a machine for which you don't have access to C (e.g. a JVM base
> platform). An implementation should be reasonable even without C.
> I don't think that (even for a prototype) we should rely on C.

Generally, it's possible to implement the locale operations in Scheme.
But as Marc noted, it's heavy lifting.  Alex Shinn has written a bunch
of code for Gauche that would probably adaptable.  But even that would
be significant work.  All the more reason to relegate to a separate
locale library, and punt on it for now.

Even the locale-insensitive stuff is significant, but nowhere near as
much effort---we'll have a reference implementation for that.