[R6RS] Unicode scalar value escape sequences

Michael Sperber sperber
Thu Feb 17 12:54:04 EST 2005

Matthew> At Thu, 17 Feb 2005 14:05:15 +0100, Michael Sperber wrote:
>> When implementing Matthew's proposal, both Richard and I stumbled over
>> this for string literals:

Matthew> The octal rules are indeed for compatibility with C and Java --- just
Matthew> to avoid yet another string syntax in the world, since most people know
Matthew> how to read C/Java strings.

If it's all about reading, I propose requiring 2, 4, and 6 digits,
respectively, at least in strings, and adding the #\x syntax.

On a separate count, I propose abandoning the octal stuff (since
nobody writes these, anyway, right?) and either going with a default
decimal syntax, or with Marc's proposal of using Scheme's numerical
prefixes.  I think I actually would like the latter better, even
though it's incompatible with C/Java---at least it uses another
recognizable notation Scheme programmers should be familiar with, and
it looks less awkward.