[R6RS] Unhappy about I/O

dyb at cs.indiana.edu dyb
Tue Dec 13 12:06:39 EST 2005

Mike,

I appreciate your efforts on I/O, and I understand your frustration.
I haven't spent time on it because I've chosen to spend my limited
time elsewhere.  At least partly, this is because I didn't sense much
interest among us for making changes to I/O for R6RS, beyond the few
simple things we talked about in Boston, and I assume that these will
be relatively uncontroversial changes in the end and require less
discussion than things like libraries and records.  (It could be that
this assumption is incorrect and I'll be sorry in the end.)  I will look
at your I/O proposals eventually, but I can't say when that will be.
No doubt, this isn't what you wanted to hear, but our collective lack
of enthusiasm for discussing R6RS I/O doesn't mean your efforts have
been wasted---it's quite possible that many of your proposed changes
will find their way into R7RS if they don't yet find their way into R6RS.