[R6RS] libraries

Michael Sperber sperber
Wed Dec 7 13:33:10 EST 2005

Matthew Flatt <mflatt at cs.utah.edu> writes:

>> Question 2: From your perspective, is this a legal library?
>>
>> (library <lib-path> <language>
>>    (display x)
>>    (define x 5)
>
> Syntactically, yes. I think of it as a run-tmie error, because `x'
> doesn't have a value when the `display' is evaluated. Probably we need
> to pin this down better.

Is there anything in the current SRFI draft that says it's a run-time
error?  (I couldn't find it on cursory reading or trying to look for
the appropriate keywords.)  I was surprised by this.  Also, when you
say "doesn't have a value", do you mean:

- doesn't have a binding
- has a binding to some special "unbound" value
- has a binding to a location containing an "unassigned" value

?

Whatever the choice, could you provide a rationale?  It seems odd that
I can use a macro definition in the forms that come after it, but not
a regular definition.  (Right?)