[R6RS] Modules, a second question

Manuel Serrano Manuel.Serrano
Thu Sep 30 08:57:04 EDT 2004

> Is this really still a problem these days?  Most Unix programs in any
> language, linked statically, consume several megabytes, if not a lot
> more.  Typical C++ object code weighs in the tons.  On the other
> hand, the Scheme 48 VM plus the entire initial image (containing the
> RTS) is less than 1.5 Megs.  MzScheme is even less, I think.
No. I disagree. Simple programs should produce small executables.

-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----
#include <stdio.h>

int main( int argc, char *argv[] ) {
   puts( "hello world...\n" );
}

redrock:.../serrano/trashcan> gcc -O foo.c -s -static
redrock:.../serrano/trashcan> ls -s a.out
404 a.out*

Linking against dynamic library is an option but it is not always *the*
solution. It may happen cases where one *want* to link against static
libraries.

--
Manuel