[R6RS] Exceptions vs. bugs

Michael Sperber sperber
Wed Sep 29 11:08:52 EDT 2004

This is just a note on a discussion Matthew and I had last week on the
issue of how separate the signalling/handling mechanisms for "bugs"
and "exceptions" should be.  Matthew convinced me that often, there's
no clear dividing line between the two, which is why we suggest simply
putting bugs in the condition hierarchy as follows and be done with
it:

                 &serious
              &error    &bug

This ensures that a predicate checking for a error doesn't
accidentally catch a bug as well.  Of course, a

(guard condition (else ...))

form would still catch bugs.  (Matthew tells me they shoot people who
do this over in PLT land.)