[R6RS] Modules, a second question

Manuel Serrano Manuel.Serrano
Tue Sep 28 08:23:13 EDT 2004

Sorry for this kind of random questions... I'm reading the MzScheme modules
manual and I have a second question about the initialization.

When a module M1 "requires" (or imports) a module M2. As far as I understand
M2 is supposed to be executed before M1. Now imagine that M1 requires
M2 but actually refers to no variables of M2. Is the execution of M2 still
required. If the answer is yes, then my second question is: don't you
think that we need a mean for importing without executing a module.
Otherwise, I'm afraid that a single application made of one short module
such as:

(module foo r6rs
 (display "Hello world"))

will actually initialize the entire r6rs Scheme run time system.

The bad consequence is that it will be hard for a compiler to deliver
applications that won't be linked against the whole r6rs runtime
system.  It is likely to be very hard to produce small Scheme
executables...

--
Manuel