[R6RS] Case sensitivity
Sun Oct 31 15:52:29 EST 2004
I thought it'd be a good idea to document the various arguments on
case sensitivity before we go to any kind of vote.
- R5RS is case-insensitive; changing this would break programs
- HCI research indicates that case insensitivity is more
- Case insensitivity means people can be more liberal when writing
text containing Scheme identifiers. (R5RS has many sentences
starting with capitalized identifiers.)
- The identifier syntaxes of many other programming languages---and
XML---can be expressed as regular representable Scheme symbols.
- Symbols are case-sensitive already; it's just the literals where the
case gets evened out.
- The community probably wants it.
I'd appreciate if people added to this list. I remember Will hinting
at some more arguments that weren't clear to me. I'd also like to
have a little debate over the "interoperability argument" eventually.
Cheers =8-} Mike
Friede, V?lkerverst?ndigung und ?berhaupt blabla
More information about the R6RS