[R6RS] Re: [R6RS-private] I/O library

Michael Sperber sperber
Wed Nov 10 03:27:44 EST 2004

Marc> Michael, before you spend too much time on this, I think you should
Marc> enlighten us on your general intentions and goals.  What issues are
Marc> you tackling and for what purpose?  Do you have specific solutions,
Marc> like those in Reppy's book, in mind?

I don't understand what your concern is exactly---when the I/O issue
came up at Snowbird, nobody signed up.  I'm signing up now.  If
anybody else wants to get on board, that's fine with me.

As to the general intentions and goals, I pretty much share them with
Reppy (as stated).  On top, I intend to address the character-encoding
issue, which Reppy doesn't do much about.

Marc> >From our discussion at Snowbird I seem to remember that you were
Marc> concerned about synchronization problems [...]

Synchronization is pretty much orthogonal to the rest, at least in the
SML Basis / CML way of thinking, and that's, IMHO, how it should be.

Marc> In the interest of maintaining focus, I think we should first
Marc> tackle some more down-to-earth I/O problems like
Marc> character-encoding/decoding, binary I/O and pathnames.

Yes, these are all part of it.

Marc> Synchronization is a rather orthogonal issue that can be tackled
Marc> later.

Sure.