[R6RS] Case sensitivity

Marc Feeley feeley
Mon Nov 1 07:23:38 EST 2004

> - HCI research indicates that case insensitivity is more
>   user-friendly.

I can't resist commenting on this one.  I'm sure "HCI research"
would have many other things to say about Scheme if given the
time to study it...

1) parentheses are not user-friendly
2) prefix syntax is not user-friendly
3) functional programming is not user-friendly
4) higher-order functions are not user-friendly
5) call/cc is not user-friendly

Are we going to get rid of these things because "HCI research"
says we should?

I think "HCI research" has to be taken with a grain of salt as I'm
sure the results of studies will depend greatly on the target users.
For absolute novices I wouldn't be surprised that a case-insensitive
syntax is slightly better (but probably a very small problem when
compared to all the semantic-level difficulties when learning to
program).  For intermediate and expert programmers (but new to
Scheme), case-insensitivity is probably a source of problems because
they can't use the naming conventions that they have traditionally
used in other programming projects.  Why should we prevent them from
expressing themself freely?

Marc