[R6RS] Module system

Michael Sperber sperber
Mon Mar 29 14:15:22 EST 2004

Marc> In the meantime I suggest that we all read the module proposal Matthew
Marc> sent in a while ago to be able to discuss it soon (Subject: "strawman
Marc> module syntax", Date: 22 Jan).  If there are other proposals, this
Marc> would be a good time to post them or at least let everyone know that
Marc> some other proposal is in the works.  Alternate proposals or
Marc> modifications to Matthew's proposal can of course be proposed during
Marc> the discussion period.

Just to get a head start on trying to prevent the usual deterioration
of any discussion on this topic:

Different kinds of tasks require different kinds of module systems.  No
single one I've seen (despite Bob Harper's recurring attempts at the
all-singing all-dancing hybrid angry fruit salad) addresses all the
issues people have expected module systems to solve.

A great part of the confusion is that "module" is sort of like
"object" (or "exception" or "thread"): There's no consensus on what it
means, but everyone seems to have an opinion as to was it *must* mean.
Kent has pointed out that "his" module system is indeed something
different from and largely orthogonal to "Matthew's" module system,
despite superficial similarities.  Since this difference seems to
even elude many implementors, we need to be very clear and unambiguous
about this in R6RS.

Which, altogether, is why the word "alternate proposals" worries me.

So, from the collection of possible interpretations of the word
"module system," let me say that I think that we need a *PLT-style
module system* most badly.  It doesn't solve all the problems, and
some others might be nice to have, but they're not as important.  (I
also would like to see the commonalities between the various module
systems factored out, but have little hope we can achieve that in the
near future.)

I also strongly vote for calling the basic construction something
other than "module," "package," or "unit," to avoid the traditional
confusion.