[R6RS] Re: strawman module syntax

Matthew Flatt mflatt
Sat Jul 10 23:42:54 EDT 2004

At Sat, 10 Jul 2004 15:59:40 +0200, Michael Sperber wrote:
> I have the feeling there's been a misunderstanding, not a difference
> in opinion.

Probably so...

> Consider the problem of just running an application within MzScheme.
> I can do the following:
>
> - env PLTCOLLECTS=...: mzscheme -mqvL <file> <collection>
> - env PLTCOLLECTS=...: drscheme &
>   ... then either load the source file into the editor, or type
>   (require (lib "<file>" "<collection>")) into the editor window, type
>   "Execute"
>
> So there's already two.

Ok, but for a different module, the only thing that changes is the
<file> and <collection> (or however you specify the module). So it's a
part of the tool, and *not* a part of the program.

More concretely, if you create a module "super-lib.scm", you don't have
to distribute it with instructions/scripts for running in MzScheme,
plus instructions/scripts for compiling with mzc, and so on. The source
"super-lib.scm" is self-contained.

That is the most important form of portability to me. The kind of
portability that SRFI-22 provides is nice, but I think secondary.

Matthew