[R6RS] Changes to the core language

Michael Sperber sperber
Fri Feb 27 07:48:10 EST 2004

A number of changes (as distinguished from additions or extensions) to
the core language (as it stands in R5RS) have been proposed.  This
seems like a useful chunk to cut out of the list, so I'll just comment
on those:

- remove multiple values

Like Manuel and Kent, I don't see any particular need for this.  I
think the present specification fits Scheme very well, and I've found
them to be very useful.  I'd probably add some syntactic sugar in a
library, but other than that, I'd leave them alone.

- make syntax case-sensitive

I also don't see any pressing concrete need for this.  (Marc: maybe
you could elborate how this would improve interoperability?)  Sure,
the specification needs to handle extended character sets, but Tom
Lord's has just shown one simple way to address this in his SRFI 52
draft.

I actually like case-insensitive syntax, and at least one HCI person
(who gave a talk at the Pittburgh ICFP) seems to think that it's the
better way to go.

- abstract data type for continuations

I'm all for that, for the reasons Marc states in his Scheme workshop
paper.

- remove transcript-{on,off}

By all means.

- remove FORCE and DELAY

Why?  Again, I find these very useful.

- require mode where "it is an error" means "an error is signalled"

I suggested this, so I must be for it.

- add LETREC*, define internal DEFINE in terms of it

I'm all for making internal and global DEFINE to have consistent
semantics, by whichever means necessary.  I'm agnostic on how to
achieve this.

LETREC* is probably useful, so I'm for adding it.

- #!eof

I'm all for having a single distinguished EOF value, even though
something subconscious about this particular syntax strikes me as
ugly.

- require that #f, #t, and characters be followed by a delimiter

I'm agnostic on this.-