[R6RS] Waiting for list of goals

Michael Sperber sperber
Fri Feb 27 07:37:06 EST 2004

Marc> I think it would be good to merge the lists into one

I've appended such a list (in no particular order), but I'm not sure
how useful that is --- the granularity varies wildly.  I'll comment
some more in another message.

- module system

- split language into core and libraries

- non-hygienic macros

- pattern matching / destructuring

- records

- remove multiple values

- add COND-EXPAND

- add +0, -0, +inf, -inf, +nan

- add bitwise operations on exact integers

- optional and keyword arguments as in DSSSL

- more escape characters

- extended symbol syntax

- multiline comments

- external representation for circular structures

- external representation for records

- #!eof

- require that #f, #t, and characters be followed by a delimiter

- SRFI 4 homogeneous numeric vectors

- string code

- Unicode support

- make syntax case-sensitive

- binary I/O
  or: new I/O subsystem entirely

- abstract data type for continuations

- support composable continuations

- specify dynamic environment

- remove transcript-{on,off}

- uninterned symbols
  vs. Chez's globally unique names

- add LETREC*, define internal DEFINE in terms of it

- add box types

- CASE-LAMBDA

- operations on files

- regular expressions

- command-line parsing

- hash tables

- system operations

- support for processes

- support for network programming

- library for dates

- errors and exceptions

- object-oriented programming

- serialization

- mechanism for new primitive types

- remove FORCE and DELAY

- specify evaluation order

- tighten up specification of inexact arithmetic

- tighten up specification of EQ? and EQV? (or otherwise address their
  portability problems)

- allow continuations created by begin to accept any number of values

- allow the name of the macro being defined in SYNTAX-RULES to be
  arbitrary (or _)

- require mode where "it is an error" means "an error is signalled"