[R6RS] Re: modules

Michael Sperber sperber
Tue Aug 31 02:35:57 EDT 2004

>> If EVAL is permitted to evaluate code in a module ...

Kent> I have been assuming that a program would be able to construct a module
Kent> definition and call eval on it, just as a program can currently construct
Kent> an arbitrary r5rs program and evaluate it.

I don't think that's true.  EVAL specifically only works on
expressions, not on programs.

Kent> Is everyone else assuming that this will not be possible?

Me for sure.  With the proposals far, the configuration language is
completely separate from the expression language---even more so than
the R5RS program language.  I can see some EVAL-like mechanism for the
module language (even though there are many semantic issues that need
to be addressed in that case), but I don't think it should be in EVAL
itself.