[R6RS] Re: modules

R. Kent Dybvig dyb
Mon Aug 30 15:53:13 EDT 2004

> I see your point regarding multi-gigabyte quoted stuff, but I'm not
> sure why anyone would expect the compiler to "terminate in a
> reasonable amount of time" where "reasonable" is something less than
> the compiler can do even when it has to figure out the implicit
> exports.  Do you expect the overhead to be super-linear, or some large
> factor there?

I don't think I follow what you're saying, but let me try to be clear
what I expect, which is that (eval `(lambda () (foo ,v))) take the same
amount of time no matter what v is, if (foo x) expands into (quote x).
I don't want the expander to have to touch v at all.  This is currently
the case with Chez Scheme and with the portable syntax-case expander.
If the expander scans through v looking for potential implicit exports
because it can't be sure that (foo x) expands to (quote x), this won't
be the case.